Mensch und Kirche

Diskussionsforen für Themen des Alltags mit Schwerpunkt religiöse und soziale Fragestellungen
Aktuelle Zeit: 17. Dezember 2018 17:30

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Anglican Communion Covenant
BeitragVerfasst: 18. Februar 2011 09:00 

Zitat:
Posted On : February 17, 2011 4:49 PM | Posted By : Admin ACO

ACNS: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/n ... 7/ACNS4796

Related Categories: ACO

Study guide of the Anglican Communion Covenant published

A study guide and a Questions & Answers document was published today to assist people exploring the Anglican Communion Covenant.

The study guide (:pdf: available as a pdf document) from the Anglican Communion website (http://www.anglicancommunion.org) is intended for parishes, deaneries, dioceses or groups of individuals wishing to explore the Covenant and the way it describes Anglican identity. It contains the text of the Anglican Communion Covenant interspersed with summaries of the material. Communion members are invited to download the guide and to adapt it for their own context. There is also a set of Questions & Answers about the Covenant that seeks to address some commonly asked questions. Neither document is a definitive commentary on the Covenant.

These resources were produced as a result of a meeting of the Inter-Anglican Standing Committee on Unity Faith and Order (IASCUFO) in 2009. A working group of IASCUFO has now completed this commission. There is a suggestion that people may be interested in including some of the material for use in parish bulletins, diocesan newspapers or other church communication channels.

The working group of IASCUFO includes the Rt Revd Victoria Matthews, Bishop of Christchurch New Zealand (convenor); the Rt Revd Kumara Ilangasinghe, recently retired Bishop of Kurunagala, Church of Ceylon; and the Revd Dr Simon Oliver, Associate Professor of Systematic Theology, University of Nottingham.

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Anglican Communion Covenant
BeitragVerfasst: 18. Februar 2011 09:13 

:pdf: The Anglican Communion Covenant - English [Dec-09]

Quelle: :link: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/commis ... /index.cfm

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Anglican Communion Covenant
BeitragVerfasst: 8. Juni 2012 19:25 

Zitat:
Scottish Episcopal Church General Synod votes against adoption of the Anglican Covenant

Posted On : June 8, 2012 3:38 PM | Posted By : Admin ACO
ACNS: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/n ... 8/ACNS5117
Related Categories: Scotland

From the Scottish Episcopal Church

The General Synod of the Scottish Episcopal Church today voted against the adoption of the Anglican Covenant.

Following a variety of views expressed by members of General Synod, the Motion that Synod agree in principle to adopt the Anglican Covenant was put to vote - 112 votes against; 6 votes in favour; 13 abstentions.

The Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church, The Most Rev David Chillingworth, Bishop of St Andrews, Dunkeld & Dunblane then presented a resolution on the Anglican Communion in support of Motion 27, saying “The Anglican Communion matters deeply to us in the Scottish Episcopal Church. We invoke the history of Samuel Seabury, consecrated in 1784 by the Scottish bishops as the first bishop of the church in the United States of America. We want to be part of the re-founding - the bringing to birth of a new phase of Communion life.”

The Primus’ full speech on the Anglican Communion is available here as a PDF document.

Zitat:
Resolution on the Anglican Communion

This resolution invites us to affirm the life of the Anglican Communion. We have decided
not to adopt the Anglican Covenant. Some thought it was un-Anglican. Others that it would not
achieve its purpose. Others were troubled by the fact that its genesis was in a single complex of
issues.

I believe that the movement to develop the Anglican Covenant has been a genuine and honourable
attempt to heal the life of the Communion. Across the Communion, it has focused attention and
thinking on what it means to be a Communion and what is special about the Anglican Communion.

In the Scottish Episcopal Church, we have been part of that movement and it has developed our
thinking. Like my colleagues in the College of Bishops, I have taken part in many meetings across
my own diocese. We have talked about how Communion means that as we grow closer to God, we grow
closer to one another. We have explored the way in which Communion is spiritual before it is
institutional - decentralised before it is centralised. We have seen unity is the prize when we
learn to express, honour, celebrate and transcend diversity.

The Anglican Communion matters deeply to us in the Scottish Episcopal Church. In this Motion we
invoke the history of Samuel Seabury, consecrated in 1784 by the Scottish bishops as the first
bishop of the church in the United States of America. We believe that we were part of the founding
of the Anglican Communion. We want to be part of the re- founding - the bringing to birth of a new
phase of Communion life. The Anglican Communion also matters to us because we are a small church
and are enriched by being part of a bigger whole. And I am convinced that we discern that our
particular attitude to authority - rooted in the collegiality of a College of Bishops - is echoed
in the aspiration to a dispersed rather than centralised authority which is the vision of the
Anglican Communion

So our decision not to adopt the Anglican Covenant is not a decision to reject the Anglican
Communion. Nor are we indifferent to deeply held differences of view which are held across the
Communion. For those differences are also present in this church and they are part of our daily
life and relationships. We hold a range of views. They are expressed with integrity, listened to
with care and we are committed to living creatively with our diversity

But our decision not to adopt the Anglican Covenant says that we think that this was not the right
way. We needed a number of responses to consider - not just one. And we needed to recognise that
what brings division and difficulty to our life as a Communion is a number of inter-related issues,
not just one - not just the single complex of issues around human sexuality.

The Motion calls for new bonds of shared mission at the heart of Communion life. Much of what is
needed to develop those bonds is already in existence, There are the four Instruments of Communion.
There are networks - family, environment. There is the Anglican Alliance, There is Continuing
Indaba - for which I serve as Chair of the
Reference Group. It links together dioceses in groups of three across the world in conversation
about mission. There are Diocesan Companionship Links in which we are all involved. I spent part
of last week at the Standing Committee of the Anglican
Communion in London. Round the table the Communion was present - Cuba, Malawi, England, Ghana,
South Africa, Burundi, Pakistan, Scotland. We are bound together in the
love of God, in prayer and worship. The Communion is not broken. Yes there is always
brokenness but our view as a church is that the Anglican Covenant is not the right or only
means through which that can be healed.

In my past life, I learned two important lessons about the nature of conflict. I think that
they are relevant now. The first is that what is experienced as sharp conflict is seldom as
simple as the collision between two views in direct and equal opposition to one another.
It's never just one issue. It's always a complex of inter-related issues. And it isn't just the
issues - its the strength with which they are experienced. 'Why this issue?' we say. 'And
whence the passion?'. Sometimes we used to say that 'there is more going on'. And I think
that there are two other things going on around the Communion which have made the
human sexuality issues particularly difficult to deal with

The first is one to which we are tangentially linked through the Seabury story - it is the
legacy of history. The sharp word is colonialism. What it means is that people assert
independence of thought and action more strongly - challenge authority more resolutely -
when relationships are shaped and conditioned by the legacy of history. In the Anglican
Communion, that history affects interactions between the New World and the old world
and between the developed and the developing world. We need to understand and be
sensitive to our history so that we can transcend it. To transcend it means that we
together build a post-colonial Anglican Communion.

The second I learnt about at the Primates Meeting in Dublin last year. Another of the great
diversities of Communion life is the way in which we exercise authority. A bishop in the
Church of England does not exercise authority as we do in Scotland - different again in
America and in Nigeria and in Hong Kong. And I believe that much of the
misunderstanding in Communion life has been around misplaced expectations about what
each of us can promise and deliver.

You may hear as unwelcome news the suggestion that there are several different strands
to Anglican issues. On the contrary, I believe that it is good news and for this reason.
Where there is just one issue, people line up predictably on one side or the other. But if
we acknowledge the complexity of what is actually happening, we can see that the stances
which people adopt are very much less clear cut and predictable. It becomes possible to
have dialogue across division in ways which at present are difficult.

Our Communion is a gift to the world. A global institution which is determined to exist
largely without centralised authority and which prizes unity in diversity - such a
Communion models things which are very important for the world community. Such a
Communion is attractive in mission because it has learned to transcend conflict. I believe
that we now have a historic opportunity to reshape the Anglican Communion so that it may
become an instrument of God's mission to the world. We as a church - a small church with
a part in the founding history - are by God's grace called to play our part in that rebirth

I ask you to support the Motion

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]